Operating Engineers Recruitment!
OPERATING ENGINEERS RECRUITMENT!
Operating Engineers, Local Union #30, will conduct a recruitment from January 27, 2020 through February 07, 2020 for 25 Stationary Engineer apprentices.
Applications can be obtained at Local Union #30, 16-16 Whitestone Expressway, Whitestone, NY between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications must be returned via U.S. Postal Service certified mail and postmarked no later than March 1, 2020.
For more information, visit: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/operating-engineers-lu30-december-16-2019.shtm
Other current NYC Apprenticeship Openings are listed below. Note that you can also always look for notices at the NYC Department of Labor website: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/apprenticeshiparchive.shtm
- The Boilermakers, Local Union #5 will conduct a recruitment from 4/15/19 through 3/16/20 for five boilermaker (construction) apprentices. The five openings are for New York City, Long Island, and Hudson Valley regions. You can get an application from Local Union 5, 24 Van Siclen Ave, Floral Park, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the third Monday of each month (next is 5/20). All applications must be received no later than 3/7/20. For more info, click here: www.neaac.net
- Bricklayers and Allied Craft Workers will conduct a recruitment from October 25, 2019 through September 25, 2020 (excluding July 2020 and August 2020) for 10 Bricklayer-Mason apprentices; five Stone Mason apprentices; 10 Pointer, Caulker, & Cleaner apprentices; and five Plasterer apprentices. Applications will be available at the International Masonry Institute, 12-07 44th Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on the following dates: 10/25/19, 11/22/19, 12/20/19, 1/31/20, 2/28/20, 3/27/20, 4/24/20, 5/29/20, 6/26/20 and 9/25/20. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. There will be no admittance after 8:30 a.m. An aptitude test will be conducted at the time of application. Testing and processing will be held until 10:00 a.m. Mail-in or online applications will not be accepted.
- The NYC District Council of Carpenters will conduct a recruitment from July 10, 2019 through June 10, 2020 for 25 carpenter (piledriver/dockbuilder) apprentices; 20 linoleum, resilient tile, and carpet layer apprentices; 10 cabinet maker apprentices; and 10 millwright apprentices. Applications must be obtained in person at the New York City District Council of Carpenters Training Center, 395 Hudson Street, 2nd floor (Clarkson Street entrance), New York City, NY, on the second Wednesday of each month, excluding December 11, 2019 and January 8, 2020. Applications will be available on the 2nd Wednesday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. ONLY. There will be no admittance after 7:30 a.m. Only the applicant will be allowed to complete an application. In order to receive an application, applicants must provide government-issued picture identification.
- The Construction and General Building Laborers, Local Union #79, will conduct a limited recruitment from February 14, 2020 through February 28, 2020 for 200 Skilled Construction Craft Laborer apprentices. The recruitment for JATC for Construction and General Building Laborers, Local Union #79 will be offered online from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 2,000 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-serve basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 2,000 applications have been issued, whichever comes first. Learn more here.
- The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the High Rise Concrete Carpenters of New York City will conduct a recruitment from February 12, 2020 through November 11, 2020 for 100 Carpenter apprentices. Applications must be obtained in person at the New York City District Council of Carpenters Training Center, 395 Hudson Street (Clarkson Street entrance), New York, NY, on the second Wednesday of each month, during the recruitment period. Applications will be available from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. The Carpenter Training Center will give out as many applications as possible between this time period on the designated days. There will be no admittance after 7:30 a.m. Only the applicant will be allowed to obtain an application. To receive an application, applicants must provide government-issued picture identification. Completed original applications must be submitted by mail to New York City District Council of Carpenters Training Center, 395 Hudson Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10014. All applications must be completed and postmarked no later than five business days from the date that the application was provided.
- The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Operating Engineers, Local Union #30, will conduct a recruitment from January 27, 2020 through February 07, 2020 for 25 Stationary Engineer apprentices. Applications can be obtained at Local Union #30, 16-16 Whitestone Expressway, Whitestone, NY between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications must be returned via U.S. Postal Service certified mail and postmarked no later than March 1, 2020.
- Line Workers - The Northeastern Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Outside Electrical Industry will conduct a recruitment from October 14, 2018 through October 13, 2019 for 15-30 electrical (outside) line worker apprentices. Applications may be obtained at any time during the recruitment period from the following website: http://www.NEAT1968.org.
- The Sheet Metal Workers, Local Union 137 will conduct a recruitment beginning on May 6, 2019 for one year for 10 sheet metal worker (sign hanger/rigger) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today. Applications can be picked up at 50-02 5th Street, Suite A, Long Island City, NY, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., every Monday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
- USIS Electric, Inc. will conduct a recruitment from March 23, 2020 through March 19, 2021 for 24 Electrician apprentices. Please note that the 24 openings listed for apprentices represent the total number for three recruitment regions – the Hudson Valley, Long Island, and New York City regions of the state. Applications will be available at USIS Electric, Inc., 35 West Jefferson Avenue, Pearl River, NY, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applicants must apply in person and allow up to one hour for the application process to be completed. All applications must be received no later than March 19, 2021.
Here are all of the NYC apprenticeship openings shown on the Department of Labor (DOL) website :
|New York City||Opening Date||Closing Date|
|Boilermakers Northeast Local # 5||04/15/2019||03/16/2020|
|Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers JAC Local Union 1||10/25/2019||09/25/2020|
|Carpenters JATC of NYC & Vicinity||07/10/2019||06/10/2020|
|Construction & General Building Laborers LU 79||02/14/2020||02/28/2020|
|Elevator Constructors Local #1 JAC (Closed)||01/11/2020||01/24/2020|
|High Rise Concrete Carpenters JATC of New York City||02/12/2020||11/11/2020|
|International Union of Operating Engineers Local 30||01/27/2020||02/07/2020|
|Northeastern Joint Apprenticeship & Training Committee||10/14/2019||10/13/2020|
|Sheet Metal Workers Local #137||05/06/2019||05/04/2020|
|USIS Electric, Inc.||03/23/2020||03/19/2021|
P2A AND BUILDING TRADES CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
A union construction career is a solid pathway to a stable and comfortable middle class life. Wages can start at over $50,000/year plus health insurance and retirement benefits and the only requirements are a high school diploma, a positive mental attitude, and a commitment to being hardworking and reliable. The best way to get into a union construction career is through a union construction apprenticeship and P2A helps people from low-income communities access these union apprenticeship opportunities.
The NYC construction industry unions (also called the building and construction trades) include the Laborers, the Bricklayers, the Painters, the Ironworkers, the Carpenters, the Sheet Metal Workers, the Electricians, the Boilermakers, the Steelworkers, the Plumbers, the Cement Workers, and more. The apprenticeships for these unions open up at different times during the year -- some open up only once per year, others only every 2 or 3 years. Each union has its recruitment method and strict rules regarding how to apply. Generally, only a limited number of applications (such as 300 or 1000) will be made available at any particular time. For example, the Laborers, Local 79 has an on-line recruitment, which is generally over within 2 minutes. The Plumbers and Carpenters unions offer a limited number of paper applications available at their offices, for which people will line up a night or two before the office opens on that recruitment day. Others unions, such as the Sheet Metal Workers and Boilermakers, require that applicants take a reading and math aptitude test at the time of the application, and only applicants who score above a certain level will be contacted.
P2A assists applicants with these application processes and conducts pre-apprenticeship classes to assist applicants in preparing for their interviews and with the apprenticeship process in general. P2A also sends out email updates on when these union construction apprenticeships open up and conducts info sessions on these apprenticeship opportunities at community organizations and public agencies throughout New York City. Much of the work of P2A is done by P2A peer mentors – full-time building trades apprentices who also serve as peer mentors for applicants and new apprentices.
To join the P2A community, all you need to do is sign up on the P2A mailing list with an email address and cell phone number.