UPDATE! Upcoming Apprenticeship Openings -Bricklayers, Local 78, Carpenters
Hello P2A Community,
The following unions are now taking applications for Apprenticeships:
1. The Operating Engineers Local 30 will be conducting a recruitment for 25 Stationary Engineers from January 28, 2019 through February 08, 2019. Applications can be obtained at Local Union #30, 16-16 Whitestone Expressway, Whitestone, NY between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. Applications must be returned via U.S. Postal Service certified mail and postmarked no later than March 1, 2019.
Note: Local #30 will administer a comprehensive math exam to all applicants who successfully file an application. The highest scoring 60 applicants on the comprehensive math exam will be offered the opportunity to take the Specific Aptitude Test Battery (SATB) administered by the New York State Department of Labor. Dates for all testing will be provided after applications are received. A score of less than 85% on the comprehensive math exam will disqualify the applicant from entry into the program. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/operating-engineers-lu30-november-27-2018.shtm
2. The Bricklayers, Local Union #1 are conducting a recruitment through June 28, 2019 for ten bricklayer-mason apprentices; five stone mason apprentices; ten pointer, caulker, & cleaner apprentices; and five plasterer apprentices. The next date is Friday, January 25th at the International Masonry Institute, 12-07 44th Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. There will be no admittance after 8:30 a.m. An aptitude test will be conducted at the time of application. Testing and processing will be held until 10:00 a.m. Mail-in or online applications will not be accepted. For more information, click here:
- Lift and carry approximately 94 lbs. of material for a distance of 30 feet and restack it to a height of approximately 54 inches.
- Use a shovel to load approximately half of a cubic yard of material into a wheelbarrow, wheeling it 100 feet, and depositing it into a container.
- Work at heights of 50 feet or more.
- Work in confined spaces.
- Work in extreme temperatures, both indoors and outdoors.
For more information about this opportunity, you can call Local 78 at (718) 383-6863 or see the recruitment notice at this website: https://www.labor.ny.gov/
4. The Carpenters are conducting a recruitment for 25 carpenter/ piledriver/ dockbuilder apprentices, 20 linoleum resilient tile and carpet layer apprentices, 10 cabinet maker apprentices, and 10 millwright apprentices. You can get an application on every 2nd Wednesday of the month - next January 9th - at the NYCDCC Training Center, 395 Hudson St (Clarkson St entrance), 2nd floor from 7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. There is no admittance after 7:30 a.m. You must go in person with a state I.D. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.
5. The Carpenters are also conducting a recruitment for High Rise Concrete Carpenters from February 13, 2019 to November 13, 2019. You can get an application on every 2nd Wednesday of each month (2/13/19 is the first time) at the NYCDCC Training Center, 395 Hudson St (Clarkson St entrance), 2ndfloor from 7:00 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. There is no admittance after 7:30 a.m. You must go in person with a state I.D. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/carpenters-high-rise-january-08-2019.shtm
Please know that you can always check all the Apprenticeship Openings on the NYS Department of Labor website at: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/apprenticeshiparchive.shtm You must scroll down the list to “New York City” – about mid-way down the page. The list is shown below. You can click on any of these sites for more detail on all open apprenticeships in New York City:
|New York City|
|Asbestos Lead & Hazardous Waste Laborers Local 78||11/14/2018||11/13/2019|
|Boilermakers NE Area Local # 5||04/16/2018||03/18/2019|
|Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers JAC Local Union 1||09/28/2018||06/28/2019|
|Carpenters JATC of NYC & Vicinity||07/11/2018||06/12/2019|
|DC16 Cement & Concrete Workers Training & Education Fund||03/06/2019||03/19/2019|
|High Rise Concrete Carpenters JATC of New York City||02/13/2019||11/13/2019|
|International Union of Operating Engineers Local 30||01/28/2019||02/08/2019|
|LIUNA LU # 731 Training Fund||07/10/2018||07/23/2018|
|Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Fund||01/29/2018||01/25/2019|
|Northeastern Joint Apprenticeship & Training Committee||10/14/2018||10/13/2019|
|United Derrickman & Riggers Ironworkers LU # 197||07/09/2018||07/20/2018|
P2A is here to help. We can help you with your resume and to prepare for an interview. We also have some materials for you to use in studying for any aptitude tests. Please contact us - email is best: firstname.lastname@example.org
P2A AND BUILDING TRADES CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
A union construction career is a solid pathway to a stable and comfortable middle class life. Wages can start at over $50,000/year plus health insurance and retirement benefits and the only requirements are a high school diploma, a positive mental attitude, and a commitment to being hardworking and reliable. The best way to get into a union construction career is through a union construction apprenticeship and P2A helps people from low-income communities access these union apprenticeship opportunities.
The NYC construction industry unions (also called the building and construction trades) include the Laborers, the Bricklayers, the Painters, the Ironworkers, the Carpenters, the Sheet Metal Workers, the Electricians, the Boilermakers, the Steelworkers, the Plumbers, the Cement Workers, and more. The apprenticeships for these unions open up at different times during the year -- some open up only once per year, others only every 2 or 3 years. Each union has its recruitment method and strict rules regarding how to apply. Generally, only a limited number of applications (such as 300 or 1000) will be made available at any particular time. For example, the Laborers, Local 79 has an on-line recruitment, which is generally over within 2 minutes. The Plumbers and Carpenters unions offer a limited number of paper applications available at their offices, for which people will line up a night or two before the office opens on that recruitment day. Others unions, such as the Sheet Metal Workers and Boilermakers, require that applicants take a reading and math aptitude test at the time of the application, and only applicants who score above a certain level will be contacted.
P2A assists applicants with these application processes and conducts pre-apprenticeship classes to assist applicants in preparing for their interviews and with the apprenticeship process in general. P2A also sends out email updates on when these union construction apprenticeships open up and conducts info sessions on these apprenticeship opportunities at community organizations and public agencies throughout New York City. Much of the work of P2A is done by P2A peer mentors – full-time building trades apprentices who also serve as peer mentors for applicants and new apprentices.
To join the P2A community, all you need to do is sign up on the P2A mailing list with an email address and cell phone number.