ELEVATOR RECRUITMENT JULY 24!
Please be advised that the Elevator Industry (JATC) will conduct a recruitment from July 24, 2019 through August 6, 2019 for 75 Elevator Servicer and Repairer apprentices. Applications can be obtained at the JATC, 35-40 36th Street, 2nd floor, Long Island City, NY, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. All applicants must present a valid picture ID issued by a City, State, or Federal government agency. This ID will be matched to the application number during the entire application process.
This is a limited-application recruitment. Only 750 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-serve basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days or until 750 applications have been issued, whichever comes first. Applications must be returned via U.S. Postal Service certified mail and postmarked no later than August 12, 2019. Applications will be numbered and must correspond with the name and number of the application given to the applicant at time of pick-up.
To learn more, visit https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/elevator-servicers-repairers-lu3-june-21-2019.shtm
Other current NYC Apprenticeship Openings are listed below. Note that you can also always look for notices at the NYC Department of Labor website: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/apprenticeshiparchive.shtm
- The Sheet Metal Workers, Local Union 137 will conduct a recruitment beginning on May 6, 2019 for one year for 10 sheet metal worker (sign hanger/rigger) apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today. Applications can be picked up at 50-02 5th Street, Suite A, Long Island City, NY, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., every Monday,excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
- The Boilermakers, Local Union #5 will conduct a recruitment from 4/15/19 through 3/16/20 for five boilermaker (construction) apprentices. The five openings are for New York City, Long Island, and Hudson Valley regions. You can get an application from Local Union 5, 24 Van Siclen Ave, Floral Park, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the third Monday of each month (next is 5/20). All applications must be received no later than 3/7/20. For more info, click here: www.neaac.net
- The Tile, Marble and Terrazzo Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee Local Union #7 of NY & NJ will conduct a recruitment from March 25, 2019 through October 11, 2019 for five marble carver, cutter and setter apprentices; five terrazzo worker apprentices; three tile, marble and terrazzo finisher apprentices; and five tile setter apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Applications will be available at the International Masonry institute, 12-07 44th Avenue, Long Island City, NY, 11101 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., March 25-28, 2019 and from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., October 7-10, 2019.Applications will also be available at 3281 Route 206, Bordentown, NJ, 08505 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on March 29, 2019 and on October 11, 2019.
- The Asbestos, Lead, and Hazardous Waste Laborers, Local Union #78 will conduct a recruitment from November 14, 2018 through November 13, 2019 for 200 skilled construction craft laborer apprentices. Applications can be obtained from the Mason Tenders Training Fund, 42-53 21st Street, Long Island City, NY from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. every second Wednesday of the month during the recruitment period, excluding legal holidays. All applications must be picked up in person.
- The NYC District Council of Carpenters will conduct a recruitment from July 10, 2019 through June 10, 2020 for 25 carpenter (piledriver/dockbuilder) apprentices; 20 linoleum, resilient tile, and carpet layer apprentices; 10 cabinet maker apprentices; and 10 millwright apprentices. Applications must be obtained in person at the New York City District Council of Carpenters Training Center, 395 Hudson Street, 2nd floor (Clarkson Street entrance), New York City, NY, on the second Wednesday of each month, excluding December 11, 2019 and January 8, 2020. Applications will be available on the 2nd Wednesday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. ONLY. There will be no admittance after 7:30 a.m. Only the applicant will be allowed to complete an application. In order to receive an application, applicants must provide government-issued picture identification.
- The High Rise Concrete Carpenters will conduct a recruitment from February 13, 2019 through November 13, 2019 for 100 carpenter apprentices. Applications must be obtained in person at the New York City District Council of Carpenters Training Center, 395 Hudson Street (Clarkson Street entrance), New York, NY, on the second Wednesday of each month, during the recruitment period. Applications will be available from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. The Carpenter Training Center will give out as many applications as possible between this time period on the designated days. There will be no admittance after 7:30 a.m. Only the applicant will be allowed to obtain an application. To receive an application, applicants must provide government-issued picture identification.
- The Northeastern Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Outside Electrical Industry will conduct a recruitment from October 14, 2018 through October 13, 2019 for 15-30 electrical (outside) line worker apprentices. Applications may be obtained at any time during the recruitment period from the following website: http://www.NEAT1968.org.
Here are all of the NYC apprenticeship openings shown on the Department of Labor (DOL) website:
|New York City|
|Asbestos Lead & Hazardous Waste Laborers Local 78||11/14/2018||11/13/2019|
|Boilermakers Northeast Local # 5||04/15/2019||03/16/2020|
|Carpenters JATC of NYC & Vicinity||07/10/2019||06/10/2020|
|High Rise Concrete Carpenters JATC of New York City||02/13/2019||11/13/2019|
|JATC of the Elevator Industry||07/24/2019||08/06/2019|
|Northeastern Joint Apprenticeship & Training Committee||10/14/2018||10/13/2019|
|Sheet Metal Workers Local #137||05/06/2019||05/04/2020|
|Tile, Marble, Terrazzo BAC Local 7||03/25/2019||10/11/2019|
P2A is here to help. Please call or email us if you have any questions or would like us to review your resume, help you prepare for an interview, or if you need prep materials for any aptitude test.
P2A AND BUILDING TRADES CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
A union construction career is a solid pathway to a stable and comfortable middle class life. Wages can start at over $50,000/year plus health insurance and retirement benefits and the only requirements are a high school diploma, a positive mental attitude, and a commitment to being hardworking and reliable. The best way to get into a union construction career is through a union construction apprenticeship and P2A helps people from low-income communities access these union apprenticeship opportunities.
The NYC construction industry unions (also called the building and construction trades) include the Laborers, the Bricklayers, the Painters, the Ironworkers, the Carpenters, the Sheet Metal Workers, the Electricians, the Boilermakers, the Steelworkers, the Plumbers, the Cement Workers, and more. The apprenticeships for these unions open up at different times during the year -- some open up only once per year, others only every 2 or 3 years. Each union has its recruitment method and strict rules regarding how to apply. Generally, only a limited number of applications (such as 300 or 1000) will be made available at any particular time. For example, the Laborers, Local 79 has an on-line recruitment, which is generally over within 2 minutes. The Plumbers and Carpenters unions offer a limited number of paper applications available at their offices, for which people will line up a night or two before the office opens on that recruitment day. Others unions, such as the Sheet Metal Workers and Boilermakers, require that applicants take a reading and math aptitude test at the time of the application, and only applicants who score above a certain level will be contacted.
P2A assists applicants with these application processes and conducts pre-apprenticeship classes to assist applicants in preparing for their interviews and with the apprenticeship process in general. P2A also sends out email updates on when these union construction apprenticeships open up and conducts info sessions on these apprenticeship opportunities at community organizations and public agencies throughout New York City. Much of the work of P2A is done by P2A peer mentors – full-time building trades apprentices who also serve as peer mentors for applicants and new apprentices.
To join the P2A community, all you need to do is sign up on the P2A mailing list with an email address and cell phone number.